22 August 2012

TC of KG - Chapter Eight

"A man who has never made a woman angry is a failure in life."

7:30 AM, Breakfast


I have Photography today.


Shit.


There was some assignment that we had to submit. I think. I wanted to ask Arnav the other day but... I was otherwise distracted ... .ummm...right.


What on earth am I going to do now? I am pretty sure that that evil teacher will throw me out of his class, and then what will I do? No news agency will ever accept me. I will be jobless. I'll be married off to some middleclass man and will end up doing laundry/cleaning/etcetc for the rest of my life.


In short I am going to be a maid.


A maid.


Nahiii.

8:30 AM, College Bus


I sat next to Priya, giving her a cheery smile.


"Hey Priya!"


"How are you feeling?" She asked, her eyebrows raised in concern. Sheesh, these people are behaving like I was in some fatal accident.


"Forget that, I am fine. But tell me what happened at the party?" I asked her.


"Well it's a good thing you missed it. They, the seniors I mean, tried to scare everyone. It was actually kind of funny and not at all scary. I wonder whose ingenious idea it was. It sucked. If it's Anil's I am going to have a field day teasing him." She said her eyes twinkling in mirth.


I instantly perked up at the mention of Anil.


"God Khushi, it way too early in the morning for you to start drooling." She said rolling her eyes.


What's a girl to do? Embrace the fact of course.


"So how do you know Aakash and the rest?"


"You mean how do I know Anil?" She was laughing now.


"Yeah, yeah. Do I have to spell it out for you?"


"You could."


She wanted to see me squirm.


"I hate you." I said, huffing dramatically.


"Okay okay ... Well Di is friends with him and the rest ... so they come over often. So yeah I got to know them that way."


"The rest?" I prodded her along.


"You know Aakash, Lavanya ... " She trailed off.


"And Arnav?" I finally asked, unable to hold in my curiosity.


Her expression suddenly hardened. And her previously teasing voice turned serious.


"Khushi you have to stop ... ."


My eyebrows rose in confusion.


"With Arnav, Khushi ... Just stop it." Her loud voice startled me.


"Stop what?" Now I wanted to know what the big deal was.


"He's not exactly nice Khushi ... reserved ... self-involved...proud ... .He won't care two hoots about hurting you Khushi." Her eyes softened towards the end.


That didn't at all sound like the guy I met yesterday. He was nice and caring. She had to be over reacting. I mean he can't be ... .right? But I nodded just to pacify her.

9:30 AM, History.



It's a good thing I have Photography only after lunch, maybe I can meet Arnav during Lunch and beg him to help me.


Really I have no qualms about begging if it means that that Devil-of-a-teacher won't throw me out.
I also have to return his jacket.

10:30 AM, CW


I think I am going to die of excitement. We have to write our own short-story as the first assignment. Have I mentioned how much I love this class and Mr. Khan? He really is the best in the world.
I wonder what I am going to write.


Classic Romance?


Mills and Boon style?


Thriller?


Historical?


Ah... the endless possibilities.

12:40 PM, Girls-Restroom


I am not going to waste my tears on him. Who the hell is he? I've barely known him for a week. Then why does it hurt so much? After all Priya did warn me. Stupid me, I never listen to people. Fat load of good that did me. Like I already didn't know I wasn't in his so called league.


Stupid pounce.


Priya and I got our lunches but before we left to our usual spot outside I said,


"Hey I'll catch up with you in a sec, I have to talk to Arnav."


"Khushi no, you can talk to him in your tutoring lessons. Please don't go."


I should have just listened to her. She's knows about people like him after all.


"No it's about the assignment or I have to become a maid."


"What?" She asked, confusion evident on her face.


"Look just wait outside okay, I'll join you in a sec." And I sauntered off.


I noticed that he was sitting with some of his friends. I recognised Aakash and Anil but there were other people too. Arnav sat at the edge; barely paying attention to anybody there, concentrating on something in front of him. He was glaring at the bit of paper in front of him. How odd.


I went and stood in front of him and slowly cleared my throat. He was still looking at the piece of paper, completely ignoring me. I cleared my throat again.


"Hey girl do you want water?"


Everybody else at the table was looking at me. I became self conscious.


"No I think she wants to talk to ASR." They started to snigger.


Arnav finally realised that I was there and he looked up at me with vacant eyes.


"Arnav, I want your help... I mean I don't want to be a maid... I mean I want help with the assignment." I said without stopping for breath.


"oo..Arnaaav she wants your help." They teased in a high pitched voice.


His eyes hardened.


"What the hell are you doing here?" I was startled at his harsh voice.


"The assignment ... Photography ... " I blabbered on.


"Is this the girl you tutor? Wow she's so down market." Said a girl at the far end of the table.


I gulped, realising that I wasn't in my territory.


"ASR you ditch Tennis practice for this girl. I mean I expected someone hotter you know with bigger... "


"Enough." Arnav finally said bringing an end to their chatter.


I was relieved. Then surprised as he took a firm hold of my hand and dragged me away. His hold was painful as he took me to an empty classroom and banged the doors closed.


His hold was still tight and it hurt.


"Ow.. your hurting me ... "


He tightened his hold and brought me closer.


"What the hell are you trying to do?"


"I wanted help ... " I said in a whisper, looking down.


He was still glaring at me and my eyes involuntarily moistened, partly because of his death grip and partly due to my helpless state. He suddenly let go of my hand and moved a couple of steps away. I rubbed my hands together trying to ease the sting of his vice grip and blinked back my tears.


"People like you ... ."


My eyes snapped up to his frigid ones, trying to find some warmth; the same warmth that shone yesterday.


"..need to know your place ... .Just because a guy helps you, doesn't mean you have to jump him the next second. Self respect - go earn some of it instead of throwing yourself at guys ... "


"Shut up." His little speech came to an abrupt end and he looked startled at my outburst.


"Shut the hell up Mr. Raizada. Don't you dare judge me when you don't even know who I am."


He quickly covered the gap between us and stood towering over me. I looked up at him with a fierce gaze. His nose was flared in anger and his eyes were hooded with silent rage. His bi-polar behaviour was starting to irritate me.


"What the hell is wrong with you?" I hissed out.


He lowered his face so that our noses nearly touched and his harsh breath washed over me.


"Why can't you leave me alone?"


I flushed at our close proximity and the anger in me rose once again. I was foolishly falling prey to his taunts, it happened once before, I wasn't going to let it happen again. I brought my hands to his chest and pushed him hard till he staggered back in slight shock.


"What the ... "


"I am sorry for wasting your time Mr. Raizada."


I turned around with the full intention of making a dramatic exit when I felt him grab my wrists for the second time. Just as I was about to scream bloody murder he pushed me against the door and covered my mouth with his hands. His face was looming dangerously close to mine and I could feel the anger radiate off him. His eyes were blazing and oh god ... . smouldering. Traitorous blood rushed up to my cheeks.


"No one talks to me like that." He said in a low and warning tone.


He kept his gaze; staring straight in my eyes and I held his gaze, unwilling to lose. He let his hand slide off my mouth, slightly brushing against my lips. I licked my lips in an automatic response. His eyes snapped to them and he lost our little staring contest.


"Well Mr Raizada I don't take shit from anyone either." I said in a harsh voice.


Then the jerk reached behind me and unlocked the door. I fell backwards and onto the cold floors of the (thankfully) empty corridors.


He looked down at me and then walked past.


I got up slowly and rushed to the girl's restroom, and then I let the damn tears roll down. I swear to god I can't stop if I tried. Why did this guy invoke such strong emotions in me? I don't even know the guy for God's sake.


Well screw you Arnav Singh Raizada.


Also I missed Photography due our little mele.


2:30, Political Science.


I have to go meet Mr Sinnah and beg him not to throw me out of his class. What are the chances that he'll keep me in his class? Less than zero?


3:40, College Grounds.


What is wrong with that guy? No really there is something seriously messed up in that head of his. First he behaves like deranged fool and now he does this ... ?


I walked up to Mr Sinnah fully ready to apologize and fall at his feet if it meant he would keep me in class. Then Mr. Sinnah said this,


"Oh, Miss Gupta. How are feeling? Better I hope."


I think I was stunned to silence.


"Are you alright Miss Gupta? You still look a little pale..." He said with slightly concerned expression on his face.


"Wh ... What? I mean how..?" I babbled in a high pitched voice.


"Oh, Arnav told me you were sick. Don't worry Miss Gupta you didn't miss much. Speaking of, I am glad you're taking interest in the class. Arnav mentioned your tutoring lessons."


By that point I was out right gaping at him.


"Umm ... uhh ... Yeah... yeah...Arnav's great." I finally said.


Then he walked off while I still stood there like one of Medusa's victims.

What exactly just happened?


5:00 PM, Home.


I am pretty sure of two things now.


A) Arnav Singh Raizada is stalking me.
B) I think he is slightly off his rockers.


The guy confuses me beyond any limits.


After my talk with Mr Sinnah, I walked aimlessly toward the gates, still pondering about the things that had transpired in the day. But I was brought out my retrieve by a wild hand waving in front of my face.


My eyes snapped up to meet honey coloured ones. It was Anil.
"Hey Khushi, which world are you in?" He said with an amused expression on his face.


"Hey you..." I said in a definitely less enthusiastic voice.


His eyebrow puckered up and small frown settled on his face.


"Look Khushi about what happened at lunch today ... ."


My eyes widened in surprise.


" ... those guys really don't have any tact ... I am really sorry on their behalf ... " He said, his eyes apologetic.


I gave him a genuine smile and his entire face eased in relief.


"That's okay. It wasn't your fault. But thanks for apologising."


" 'twas not a problem" He was now blushing. Seriously why can't more guys in the world be like this Adonis?


"Anyways, I'll catch you later then Khushi."


"Bye."


I was definitely in a much better disposition as I reached home. Then my phone buzzed. It was an unknown number. That was odd considering I haven't yet given my number to that many people.


"Hello." I tentatively asked.


"Where the hell were you?"


I have the faintest idea how he got my number.


"Arnav?"


"Why? Were you expecting someone else?" There was a certain edge to his voice.


"Excuse me? You can't just call me and boss me around mister."


"I was waiting for you at four."


It took me a while to understand.


"Tutoring?" I asked, my voice filled with disbelief.


"Einstein."


"You actually want to tutor me. Have you gone coo-coo?"


"So where were you?" He asked, completely ignoring my outraged voice.


Was this guy actually for real?


"I am at home. Where else would I be? I am sorry but after your little stunt today I was less inclined to believe that you still wanted to tutor me." My voice was filled with sarcasm.


"I.. That is to say ... I wasn't in the best of my moods." He said in a fainter voice.


That was unexpected.


"Oh ... That doesn't excuse what you did. I am not your punching bag."


"I know." His voice was strained.


I figured that was as close to an apology I was going to get from him.


"Right so tutoring is still on? 'Cause I am pretty sure I am going to fail that class."


"Not if I have something to do with it." He said, his voice back to full on Laad governor arrogance.


"Okay then, same time tomorrow?"


"No, come to college early. It'll be less of a hassle then."


"But how will I get there? I only take the college bus." Where was he going with this?


There was silence at the other end. Then,


"I'll pick you up at seven. Wait at the same bus stand."


Then he cut the call. Has the guy ever heard of pleasantries? Sheesh.


I think my head is going to break trying to decipher Arnav Singh Raizada.


No comments:

Post a Comment