20 August 2012

TC of KG - Chapter Five

"A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip."




6:30 AM, Comfy Bed


In retrospect yesterday's events seem very odd and overbearing.


Honestly when I stepped into college all I wanted to do was make a few friends, go to classes and you know maybe meet a cute guy or two. My expectations were never beyond that. When I was in school I was never popular in the typical sense. I had a bold exterior and that sometimes overwhelmed people. I was 'loud and obnoxious' as one person kindly put it. The point being I was always invisible and away from the spotlight. That's how I liked things and that was one of my greatest flaws. Payal always says I don't take enough risks and she's absolutely right. I like my no risk zone thank you very much. It's only been four days in college and I've already endured more drama than in my entire high school life.


All because of one Arnav Singh Raizada.


Anyway, yesterday, I exited Creative Writing (my last class) in a generally pleasant disposition. (We had a wonderful discussion about classic English and its influence on modern writing. Riveting debate, I must say.)


I walked out of the building and into a fish market. I kid you not, it was an absolute chaos. There were people screaming everywhere, carrying slogans, flash cards and what not's. I thought it was some sort of strike but of course I was wrong.


A Tennis match. No joke.


Isn't tennis usually a quite sport in which people saw the match in utmost silence and concentration? Apparently not here. Or maybe it was just the player who was playing that caused such a riot.


Laad Governor.


Honestly I wasn't even surprised. The guy attracted drama almost as much as I did. So I walked towards the tennis courts and stood uneasily behind the mob. (I just wanted to see what the fuss was about. Nothing else. Got that?). I could barely see beyond their shoulders. I was losing patience real fast so I screamed.


"OH MY GOD, LOOK THERE"


Worked like charm, they all turned back. I quickly knifed through the crowd and then well...ummm... that is to say ... I became a little, practically insignificant, just a teeny weeny bit flustered. I mean even I can't deny it- the guy's good looking. I mean that as an offence, of course. I mean he looked good in a very ordinary sense. You know just mildly pleasant. Right moving on...


He was standing in the middle of the court-his hair windswept, posture slightly bent at the knees, eyes narrowed in concentration and his racquet rolling in his arms. It was as if the raging crowd had no effect on him as he easily returned his opponent's shot and covered the entire court in a matter of seconds. Left and right seemed to merge at his lightning fast shot making.


Simply put- he was born to be on that court.


I was mesmerised as he glided on court barely pausing, going after every shot his opponent threw at him. He didn't even break a sweat after all that difficult shot making (I am not sure if they were difficult, but they certainly looked it.).He won that rally. I turned to look at the score boards.


5-4: 40-40


The opponent was leading. I finally looked at the opponent. The creep from yesterday.


Shyam.


Suddenly I found myself cheering for Arnav as well. I did not want that slezeball to win. But surprisingly enough Shyam had many fans cheering him on as well. As much as the guy repulsed me, a fact is a fact- he was an extremely good player. He matched Arnav point for point.


Shyam hit a 'nice' slice, I think. ( I just picked up on some random words.) Match point for him. Somehow I found myself praying of that Laad Governor.


The last rally and the nerves began to set in.


"Come on Arnav, you can do it." The words left me even before I could process them. He jumped up to make a 'lob' (I think). The bat connected with the ball but he lost his footing and slipped. My heart hammered in my chest. The entire audience waited with a breathless anticipation.


"Out"


Was the call.


He lost. Arnav lost.


Everyone went towards the victor, Arnav was still down. They lofted him on their shoulders and cheered him on while he smirked down at Arnav. Arnav on the other hand had a neutral expression on his face as if acknowledging that he was beaten by a better player. A true sports man. Then I heard a sickening voice.


"It's okay ASR, these things happen."


Lavanya was crouched next to Arnav in her practically nonexistent skirt. For some odd reason that irked me. He gave her a gingerly smile.


"I know La, one of these days, he's going to lose and then we'll party."


"I hold you to that promise Mr Raizada." She said with a flirtatious smile and offered him a hand. He grabbed it and stood up, still giving her a slight smile.


I wanted to puke. It was probably because of the extra samosa I had during lunch.


Then his eyes snapped up to mine, as if he knew I was watching. Blood rushed to my cheeks. That was my automatic response around him. I went towards him without thinking and by the time I realised what I was doing I was already in front of him. He kept looking at me without breaking the gaze.


"Come on ASR. Lets go for ice cream like we usually do after a bad match. I'll call Akash, Anil and Anjali too is you want."


She didn't even notice that I was right there. Self involved much, bitch?


His eyes snapped back to hers.


"Yeah, yeah sure."


He gave me one last look before 'La' grabbed his hand and they sauntered off. An empty feeling settled in my stomach. A ridiculous reaction confirming my samosa theory.


I slowly walked back but then stopped.


"Hey sweetheart."


In front of me stood Shyam. My eyes immediately hardened, I gave him a cold look and tried walking around him. He blocked my path.


"Excuse me. You are in my way." I gave him a loathsome glare.


"Come on sweetheart, don't be like that."


He tried to grab my hands. On sheer impulse I stepped on his foot with my pointed heels. He groaned in pain and I made a dash for it.


Who did he think he was messing with? I was Khushi Kumari Gupta. I ate guys like him for dinner. If he messes with the bull he'll get the horns.


I quickly made my way towards the gates. The crowd had cleared out and the pavement was free. All that violence (urgh in the lose sense of the word violence of course.) made me thirsty so searched for my water bottle, except it wasn't there. I left it in class.
I groaned in frustration as I made my way back to class. Luckily the bottle was right there where I left it. I grabbed it then...


"Impressive feet you got there."


My heart beat immediately quickened (another default reaction when he was around.). I tentatively turned around to see Arnav casually leaning against the door, blocking my only exit.


"What?"


He came forward and stood before me.


"With Shyam. You gave him quite the surprise." He said while giving me the same small smile he gave Lavanya. Out of nowhere an irrational anger rose in me.


"Yes well like I said I am stronger than I look. I don't need anybody's help. In fact I can take on ten guy ... ." My dialogue was cut short as he suddenly grabbed my hands and came closer, into my personal bubble, invading all and any privacy.


"Whoa, whoa, calm down." He said looking questioningly at me. His eyes were doing those smouldering things again and my breath hitched in my throat. I needed control. I pulled my hands away from him and jumped around him.


"Ha." I said poking my tongue out at him a giving him a victorious smirk.


"I can even get away from you."


"Oh really?"


He covered the distance between us in a single step and tried to make a grab at me at the exact instant someone entered the class room. I swiftly moved away from him and he turned away from me.


"Oh hey Khushi, I just left my assignment papers here." Said Reema, a nice girl from CW, as she grabbed her papers and made her way towards the door.


Her eyes finally registered on Arnav and widened a bit.


"Um ... he..hey ... Arnav.. nice game today." She seemed flustered too. Odd, is that the reaction everybody had around him? Makes me feel more normal.


"I was just leaving." He said in a dismissive voice and she ran off as if afraid of him. Sheesh show some backbone girl.


He too made his way towards the door but turned back at the last second.


"Monday, same time, tennis court. Don't be late."


He then walked off as I gaped after him. It took me a while to understand. He wanted to tutor me.


He still wanted to tutor me!


Which means I am not going to fail photography after all!


YES!


Oh God look at the time. I should get ready for college.


8:30 AM, College Bus


"Where were you yesterday? " Priya and I asked each other at the exact same instant.


"Khushi you know how much work we have?"


"What work?"


"Freshers party-tomorrow-means planning." She said as if explaining to a child.


I stupidly stared at her.


"What do I have to do?"


"If I am on the planning team you are on it too by default."


I failed to see the logic but I humoured her anyway. I mean how bad can it be?


"Oh-Kay???"


"Good ... " Then she went onto list the innumerable tasks which I have to do.


Shit what have I gotten myself into?


10:30, some damned classroom


Apparently we don't have classes for the day. Great? No.


Torture. Pure agonising torture.


"Khushi paint these charts"


"Khushi hang these banners."


"Khushi do this, Khushi do that"


I was really getting tired of my own name being called out.


Another point I don't get. If the party is for freshers shouldn't the other students plan the party? We plan our own party? It doesn't make any sense. Sheesh.


So anyways let me go hang up these damned charts.


Why does the world hate me?


Sigh.


12:40 PM, Lunch


Ummm ... Yeah ... . It's getting really hot in here. Probably due to the weather and not at all due to the event that took place a few minutes ago. Of course not. I was falling he caught me. No big deal. At all.


NOTE to self- Consider new shoes, preferable ones in which you don't trip and fall into Laad governors and other assorted arrogant male species.


12:45, (Lunch)^2

I think I have some sort of illness. I mean what other possible reason can be there for theconstant erratic beating of my heart?


I was innocently trying to hang up the banners Priya gave me. It was a little high so I had to stand on a stool, a slightly wobbly one.


"Be careful Khushi, the stool rocks."Priya said. Really I should just learn to listen to people for my own good/safety.


The stool was rocking and my high heels were making it a little difficult to balance myself. I reached a little higher on my tip-toes to hang it but the rocking stool made me lose my footing and I slipped. I was expecting the cold hard floor and a sharp pain instead,


"You can't even walk on flat ground without falling, what on earth prompted you to climb a rocking stool?"


I found myself in Arnav's arms with mine around his neck and our faces close enough for me to forget that we were in a room full of people. I could count every eyelash of his as his eyes bore into mine and a small smirk lined his face. I am pretty sure it's not normal for hearts to beat that fast. I think I am dying. Yep that's the only plausible explanation.

"Seriously Khushi, you can play with your boy toy later. We need to get these things done."


Priya, I was beginning to realize, was the least tactful person in the entire world.


He awkwardly put me down while my hands were still around his neck. I have no idea why my hands decided to take a permanent vacation around his neck. He put his hands gingerly over mine. I immediately removed my hands as if they were burnt. My cheeks were ablaze.


I muttered a quick "thank you" and fled the scene.


Remember when I mentioned Arnav maybe stalking me, I beginning to think that theory is true. How does that guy always find me?


Hai Devi Maiya, what cruel plan of yours is this?


4:00 PM, Home


I don't think I can feel my fingers anymore. Also Priya is a nutcase. Why do I always attract the nutcases?


I have a bad feeling about this party. After the last few days I've begun to except the worst. Sigh. If it wasn't for Priya I wouldn't even go to this stupid party. She made it sound like it was the most important day of my life and being the push over I am I accepted.


Sigh.


As my old man Oscar Wilde would say,

"It is always the unreadable that occurs."


No comments:

Post a Comment