26 August 2012

TC of KG - Chapter Nine



"If our love is only a will to possess, it is not love."


7:00 AM, Arnav's Car.



Usually I have a problem with getting up early. I whine and pout till the last minute. But today surprisingly enough, that was not a problem. I woke up with first rays of the sun tickling my skin. Actually the window is towards Payal side. Irrelevant.


Technicalities. Sheesh


That's right it was my own free will to face the world a little early and had absolutely nothing to with the Laad Governor sitting next to me like he was born to drive this stupid car.


Seriously how can one person look this fresh in the morning? I for one looked, well, like I rolled out of bed. Which is actually what I did. I woke up, hurriedly took a bath and jammed myself into the first piece of clothing I laid eyes on. Suffice to say I looked anything but "fresh".


Anyhow.


I had swiftly run towards the bus stop. I was really not in a mood for his split personalities right in the morning. God knows how he usually reacts to tardiness and I was not ready to test it. Not that I didn't want to see him riled up, there is some sadistic pleasure in it, but not right in the morning.
But I stopped a few paces before him.


He stood there leaning against the car in his low riding jeans and a stark white t-shirt. Why hadn't I ever noticed what he was wearing? He seemed in a pensive mood and really it was picture perfect. He fit in perfectly with the environment which seemed too mirror his mood. The light rays seeping through the canopy of the avenue and the general quietness all around; all prompted me to take my camera out and take a snap of it.


You should capture the things you want to treasure.


Where the hell did that thought come from? Right-ho totally moving on..


He turned towards me at the click of the camera, his eyebrows raised in slight annoyance.


"Hey you." I said walking up to him.


"What was that about?"


"I am having a lovely morning, thanks for asking." I sassed back.


"Unbelievable." He muttered under his breath and got into the driver's seat.


I got in as well and we drove off. The silence was blaring. And I detest silence. There is a the reason why I chatter nonstop.


"So... Great weather today." I said looking at him.


His eyes were fixed on the road, not even attempting to make a conversation.


"I for one love mornings like this; quiet, peaceful, serene. You know the kind of mornings you just want to sleep in ... Not that I want to sleep in ... you know tutoring and all ... . Speaking of which thanks for talking to Mr Sinnah about my absence ... .although that was partially your fault ... That's alright ... I mean ... ." I blabbered on, looking at the road in front.


Then I felt a water bottle thrust on my face, I was startled and the word vomit came to an abrupt end.


"Drink, breathe and then continue. It's not possible for one person to talk that long." He was still looking at the road but a smirk now settled on his face. Involuntarily I felt a smile touch my lips.
I grabbed the bottle out of his hand and gulped down some water in a very un-lady like manner.


"You are extremely peculiar Khushi Kumari Gupta."


Puh-lease, tell me something I don't know. The guy really liked to sate obvious facts.


"And the sun rises in the east, Arnav."


He glanced briefly in my direction before shaking his head and looking back at the road. I was randomly doodling in here when he asked me out of the blue,


"What do you keep writing in that little notebook of yours?"


His voice was light and impassive.


Was he actually making conversation? Alert NASA 'cause I just think the apocalypse came a little earlier than they planned.


"A little of this and that ... " I was deliberately evasive.


He finally turned to look at me. His eyebrows were raised as he regarded me carefully.


"Well?" He prodded along, slightly impatient.


Oh, how I love games.


"Why are you stalking me?"


He gave me a steely glance before looking back at the road in defiance.


Mature Arnav. Very mature.


I smirked in slight satisfaction.


"I am not stalking you."


"That's what she said." I retorted giving him a cheeky grin.


He was still looking at the road but I noticed the slight shuffle of his eyebrows and the frown on his face.


"You really have to learn how to keep your mouth shut Khushi." He bit out.


"Or? What will you do?"


He turned to look at me again. This time his eyes were sparkling and he had a teasing smile. Sheesh. Enough with the mood swings already.


"Or I'll have to find ways to shut to up." His tone was low, husky.


My smile immediately dropped as he stared unabashedly at me, his eyebrows raised mockingly and his smirk thoroughly in place.


The rest of the ride was quiet. He had effectively shut me up. Stupid pounce.


8:30 AM, History


I ... I ... .. No no ... He can't possibly mean it. Right?


9:30 AM, Creative Writing.


I mean even if he does, I don't care. Why should I care?


Nuh-uh... I couldn't care less in fact. Absolutely means nothing to me.


12:30 PM, Lunch.


"So why do you look like the world is against you?" That's how Priya greeted when we came to get out lunches.


"Why do you say that? I am fine. Why wouldn't I be fine? I am always fine. Fine is my middle name. I own fine."


Go on take a gun and shoot me. Please someone, anyone.


"So what did Arnav do now?"


"What?" I squeaked out. "Why would you bring Arnav up?"


She rolled her eyes.


"Judging by the way you're blushing I am definitely sure Arnav has something to do with it."


My mouth snapped open as she got up, ready to leave.


"Khushi, I am sure you're dying to write what happened in that diary of yours. Plus we have small oral quiz in Business Studies which I need to study for. So ciao."


Then she walked off. Seriously, she just walked off.


After she moved a few paces she turned back.


"Don't say I didn't warn you though. Arnav is not Prince Charming."


I need a new friend.


Humph.


2:10 PM, Photography



Arnav isn't here. Not that I care or anything. Just putting it out there.


2:11 PM, Photography aka Hell


Sigh.


Priya is right, if I don't write it down I'll never get over it. Plus I have no idea what on earth is being taught.


So yeah.


After the car ride we got off and I looked at him.


"What?"


"Where are we going to go?" I asked playing with the ends on my kurta.


"You tell me." Interesting.


"Ummm.. why?"


"Because you are the one who's going to take the photos." He explained like talking to a child.


"The tennis courts were picturesque. We can go back there."


He looked at me for a moment and then swiftly started walking. I followed suit.


"I want you tell me what you know about a camera." He asked as we reached the courts. What an odd question.


"Ummm ... It's a device to take pictures..? And stuff ... ." Eloquence has never been my strong suit.


He sighed and took a couple of steps towards me. I looked up owlishly at him.


"Tell me what do you see when you look around."


I think my Off-His-Rockers-Theory is spot on. But I guess whatever floats his boat.


"Well I see the ground and obviously the courts."


Then I turned around to look for more things.


"I see the trees and the sky.. oh and some birds chirping about ... I see the slight fog ... the occasional stray dog ... "


"Want to know what I see?" A voice whispered in my ears and I froze at his sudden closeness. When had he moved? My heart beat raced and all the oxygen sort of left me. This guy clearly has no understanding of personal space.


I turned sideways but he wasn't looking at me. He was in deep contemplation.


"What do you see?" Why the hell were we whispering?


"When I see the tennis courts, I see the calm before the storm- the silent courts that await a great battle. When I see the ground I see an arena, the place where millions of dreams are harboured. When I see the trees, I see the roots struggling to break concrete and stand tall ... "


I was put in spell by his low voice and intense description. It was like the world faded out as his voice engulfed me.


Then he moved away, taking his warmth with him. He was looking at the opposite direction.


"So you need to feel everything around you."


My mouth was slightly parched so I let the silence prolong. Then we were interrupted. Again. At this rate I am not going to learn anything.


"ASR you're here early!"


I finally noticed some half a dozen odd people were now coming towards us.
They were the same bunch of people from yesterday. I instinctively moved close to Arnav. A lame reaction now that I think about it. Can I get more pathetic? What happened to girl power? Sheesh.
And I know what kind of attire tennis players wear but really did these girls have no decency what so ever?


"I am busy right now." He said not even acknowledging them, turning towards me. I think my sudden change in position surprised him a bit. He grabbed my hand and started to walk away.


"Oh look Arnav with his new property or should I say play thing." Some random guy muttered out.
Arnav stopped and slowly turned back, his grip on my hand tightening. Are you seeing a pattern here?


"Yeah she is. She's mine. Got a problem with it?"


I turned to look at him, I almost stopped breathing and my stomach went woosh. I could see the throbbing vein in his neck and his jaw was clenched. While he looked poised and ready for a verbal spat, I looked dazed with my eyes wide.


Did he just claim that I am his property in front of a bunch of random people?


"That's not true is it Ms Gupta?" A sickeningly sweet voice asked. Shyam.


Then I was pulled back into Arnav's body, pushed flush against him and his hands came to rest across my stomach. I've never been held this possessively before.


"That's none of your concern Shyam."


And again he swiftly let go of me, grabbed my hand and we walked off.


To say I was in shock would be an understatement. A huge, gigantic one.


What the eff just happened?

"Are you alright?" He asked me, not looking back, still walking at fast pace, pulling me along with him.


I stopped; our liked hands resisted the distance. He turned back to face me.


"Try again." I said in a deadly calm voice. (At least I hope it was deadly.) He looked dangerously close to losing it. Well that made two of us then.


"We still have to cover manual focus ... " He bit out.


"Strike two, try again Mr Raizada. This is your last chance ... " I was getting real pissed really fast.


"..That's what Mr Sinnah elaborated yesterday ... Then we'll do moving objects."


I turned back at a lightning fast pace and walked back the way we came.


"Where the hell are you going?" He fell quickly into step with me.


"I am going ask my lovely new mate Shyam what just happened since you seem very much alien to the concept of sharing information." My voice was cool, calm and collected.


"You're not serious."


"Try me."


I heard his footsteps halt. And then,


"Fine."


I stopped dramatically and turned back with my hands folded against my chest. I looked him, waiting for him to continue.


"What do you want to know?"


"What's the problem between you and Shyam?" I immediately asked.


"That's none of your concern." He answered without missing a beat.


"Then why the hell am I involved?" He seemed startled at my blatant admittance of the situation.


"Why do you think you're in anyway involved?" I should have figured he wouldn't make this easy.


"Arnav please don't insult my intelligence and yours ... . There has to be some other reason for you take this much interest in me ... Obviously it's not because you have a crush on me ... "


He started to say something but I interrupted.


"And please for God's sake don't give me that bull shit about wanting to help me."


Then he did something unexpected or should I say very much expected. He invaded my personal space, standing but a hair's breadth away from me. There was no part of him touching me but I could feel the heat radiating off him. I looked at right at him. Bad idea. Very bad idea. I bit my lips as sudden nervousness over took me. I just realized how expressive his eyes really were.


"Didn't I tell you to learn to shut up?" he said bringing his arms about me and crushing me to his chest. I strained to look up at him. There was no space between us and I felt the blush rise up to my cheeks. Suffice to say I had nothing more to say.


Then a sudden smirk lined his face. The smile was so sudden it caught me off guard. I was unprepared for the mischievous glint in his eye as he let go of me and brushed my fringe back.


"Why do you think I am not interested in you? I am very interested in you Miss Gupta."


With that said he walked off leaving me shell shocked and my thoughts racing at an alarming pace. It was much later I realised that that stupid jerk had once again evaded my question.

You are not getting away tomorrow Mr Raizada.



No comments:

Post a Comment