26 August 2012

TC of KG - Chapter Thirteen


"While all deception requires secrecy, all secrecy is not meant to deceive."


10:30 AM, Bed.

For no reason am I getting out of this bed before noon. Nothing and no one can ruin my lazy Saturday this time.

Not Priya. Not Arnav. Not even Shyam.

I am going to laze about all day, watch TV with my jiji , eat jelabies till I can't feel the sweetness anymore and you know, basically just ignore all and any kind of drama. That's right today will be drama free.

A day may come when I have to face the drama head on, when I forsake even jelabies and break all bonds of sanity, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and frienmies, when reality comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day I sleep!

Amen to that. Sheesh.

1:00 PM, Living Room.

You know the odd feeling you get when you know everything is going your way and you're absolutely convinced that it's the wrong way. Yeah that's how I'm feeling right now.
It all started when I walked into the kitchen this morning and my entire family was whispering amongst themselves. Since I'm now an A-Grade hot-shot 007 I, naturally, stood outside listening in. A picture perfect sleuth.

"But we have enough Garima..."

"But the water tax ... "

"Amma I could always ..."

"The savings ... "

"Absolutely not Amma ...  that's for Khushi's college.. "

"Yes Garima ...  we cannot ... "

"Maybe ...  I have a little bit of jewellery ...  we could ... "

Then I unceremoniously dropped the aata dabba, placed precariously on the ledge next to the door, as I strained forward. I roughly resembled a polar bear after that.

"Khushi ...  Pagli.. what did you do?" Payal asked, quickly coming towards me.

"Khushi ...  it's nearly noon and you're still drowsy?" Came amma's stern voice. "I'm telling you've given her too much freedom ... " She continued, looking at Bau-ji.

He gave me a half smile and a practiced disapproving look after meeting amma's cold stare.

"What's going on? What water tax? Do we need mon ... ?" I hurriedly asked, panic engulfing me. We were in financial trouble and I didn't even know about it. What sort of a pathetic daughter am I?

"No Khushi ...  don't worry we have it covered ... " Payal interrupted, giving me a slight smile.

My eyes darted back and forth between the three of them.

"I could help ... " I started hesitantly.

"Yes you can ...  go buy some aata ...  Or else I'll have to cook you instead ... " Amma smacked me in the head and ushered me off. "And for Devi Maiya's sake brush off the aata before you step out."

I gave her weird gesture of acknowledgement, absentmindedly brushing of the aata.
I thought all the financial troubles were cleared when Bau-ji got his promotion along with Payal's tutoring money. I knew it. I should have gone to work as well. Because of me the entire family now has to suffer.

I walked aimlessly towards the market place, my mind reeling, when I collided with a hard body. Clammy hands settled on my waist, steadying me.

"Khushi ... ."

An instant dread over took me as I registered the voice.

Shyam Jha.

"Let go off me this instant or else I'll scream bloody murder ... " I said, trying to pry Shyam's hand off my waist.

Surprisingly he let go, raising his hands up as if to show his innocence.

"Calm down Khushi ...  you were the one who crashed into me ... ?"

"What? Look Mister I really don't have time for your little games ...  Some of us actually have work to do ...  So if you'll excuse me" I quickly turned on my heels, ready to bolt.

"So they convinced you I'm an axe murderer ... " That stopped me dead on my tracks and I turned around.

"No..No one needs to convince me of anything ...  You do a good job of proving you're vile sans any help ... " I gave him a mocking smile.

"What's this Khushi ... ? One small incident and you write me off ... ? How's that fair ... ?"

"Life's not fair ...  deal with it." I gave him an eye roll, ready to leave.

"Tell you what Khushi ...  we really shouldn't be having this conversation in the middle of the road...  why don't we go to that chat shop?"

"I am not going anywhere with you, you creep. Besides what the hell are you doing in the middle of the market place."

"I think you will Khushi, after all you want to know more about me right? And I was here to supervise on my dad's shops." A smile was permanently planted on his face. I wanted to rip it off him and make the dogs chew on it.

"What the hell gave you that idea?"

"So if I was to tell you something's about Raizada and myself you will not be interested?"

Well that effectively shut me up. His smile further widened as he extended his hands towards the chat shop.

"After you Khushi."

We took the table closest to the exit, you know just in case he decides he wants to kill me.

"You have ten minutes." I told him.

"Would like to eat something?"

"Nine minutes twenty seconds to go."

He sighed and sat straighter in his chair.

"Don't you think it's weird that only Raizada and his minions have a problem with me in the entire college?"

That was very true. Shyam was definitely one of the most popular guys on campus. I gave him a 'go on' look.

"How can you judge me based on a personal problem that I have with a singular person?"

"No I judged you when you opened your filthy mouth on the tennis courts the other day."

That made him laugh out loud for some reason.

"Okay I may have been out of line there and I can only offer my apologies. Raizada has a knack of bringing out the worst in me."

I don't know what prompted me to utter the next few words but I did.

"I know about Anjalie."

That immediately wiped the smile of his face. Shit Khushi ...  wing it ...  wing it...

"I ...  I ...  know that it's because of you that she can't come to college ...  You sick person ... " Somebody give me an Oscar, seriously.

He watched me for a few seconds, as if trying to make up his mind.

"No you don't ... "

"How would you know?"

"For one, Raizada would have never told you, I'm sure of that. His pathetic sister is too precious to him."

I didn't know anything at all about Anjalie Raizada but I had the sudden urge to defend her honour, just like Arnav.

"How dare you? Your ten minutes are up."

His hands grabbed my mine as I stood up to leave.

"You will let go of my hand if you know what's right for you."

He let go instantly.

"Just remember Khushi- it takes two to tango."

"What does that mean?"

"It means my ten minutes are up."

I was the one who supposed to make the dramatic exit, not him. The bad guy never makes a dramatic exit. Not fair.

5:00 PM, Bedroom.

I'll pick you up in 10mins. Be ready.

He must be joking right? Did Arnav Singh Raizada usually joke around? But sure enough in exactly ten minutes (OCD much?) a white SUV was parked in front of my house. In front of my house. In front of MY HOUSE.

My phone beeped again.

Should I come in or?

NO

I replied.

How the hell am I going to explain this to amma. Oh god and Bau-ji's home too. Boys and Khushi in the same sentence gives my father allergies.

Two minutes or I'm coming in.

Shit. Shit. Shit. DOOMED

Who the hell do you think you are?

Arnav Singh Raizada. One minute.

I quickly ran towards the living room grabbing my book bag.

"Amma ...  I ...  actually ...  that is to say ... " My mom looked at me like I was half crazy, then again that isn't exactly different from how she usually looks at me.

"I have that project work in photography to do ...  so my tutor said he'll help me ... " And that wasn't even a full fledged lie. He was my tutor after all, although I highly doubt if we're going to do anything pertaining to photography.

"That Arnav boy? Is that why there's a white car standing outside ... "

"Yes Bau-ji ...  I called him ...  He's busy for the rest of the week and I really need to get this project work done ... " I am going to hell, I know it. Hai Devi Maiya, I promise this is my last lie.

"One hour, that's all you get." He said. "Or I'll send a search party after you."

I gave him a vigorous nod and sprinted out.

"The hell is your problem?" I asked getting into the car and fastening my seat belt. Then I turned to look at him. I think I audibly gulped. He looked livid. His hands forcefully gripped the steering wheel and his eyes were smouldering with silent rage.

So I changed tactics.

"So ...  where are we going?"

No response.

"The weather is nice."

Silence.

"I love Saturdays."

...__...

Okaayyaa?

I sighed. This was getting really old.

"Arnav, seriously tell me where we're going or stop the car."

The car came to an abrupt stop, screeching and propelling me forward.

"Get out ... "

"Wha ... "

"I said get out..." He reached forward unfastening my seat belt and opening my door.

I got out and was about to walk back home when a vice grip grabbed my hand and pushed me against the car.

I leaned against it, curving my spine as his face loomed dangerously close to mine. My breathing quickened as his eyes bore into mine.

"What were you doing with Shyam Jha?" His words washed over my face, causing a blush to rise up to it.

I was hypnotised. At that point I would have done anything he asked me to.

"He ...  He ... was trying to explain himself ... "

"Really?" A mocking smile settled on his face. That snapped me out of it. I felt my own anger rise up.

"And you know what ...  he made some really valid points ...  Seems like a perfectly nice guy ... " I said, deliberately trying to rile him up.

"Shut up." I glared up at him and turned the other way, pouting a little, fully expecting him to pull away as he usually did.

"Stay away from him ...  what part of that can't you comprehend?"

"The part where you aren't telling me why?"

His nose flared and anger flashed in his eyes. He roughly grabbed hold of my shoulders, forcing me to look at him.

"So typical ... "

My eyes wavered due to his cold tone.

"What? Are you going after every rich guy in college ... . Shyam ...  and don't think I don't know about your little crush on Anil."

The scene this morning coupled with his harsh words instantly brought tears to my eyes. How could he? Like I needed a reminding that I wasn't rich and that my parents were struggling to make ends meet. To top it off he threw Anil at my face. God was I that transparent?

My strong stance crumbled and I slouched against the car, turning my face away as treasonous tears made their way down my face.

His grip on my arms slackened but he didn't let go of me yet.

"Please take me home now ... " My voice came out a little breathless.

He grabbed my chin like he did yesterday and waited till I looked at him. My eyes stung from the tears and my face flashed as the sheer embarrassment of not being able to contain my feelings washed over me.

His thumb hesitantly rubbed away the tears that clung to my chin.

"I ... I ... "

"You didn't mean to say it right? That's what you're going to say ... "

"Listen Khushi ... .."

"Just say sorry ... ." My eyes burned through his.

He hesitated a second too long.

"Oh, how silly of me? How could you, Arnav Singh Raizada, ask me, Khushi Kumari Gupta, sorry? Preposterous! " His eyes darkened ...  in anger? Or?

"Just shut up Khushi, just shut the hell up ... and for the sake of my sanity stop biting your lips." My eyes snapped wide as a shiver went down my spine. Suddenly I couldn't feel my legs. His eyes were darting between my lips and my eyes. That didn't help with my already melting insides. Think Anger Khushi ...  and rage and insult ...  and hate...

"What are you doing?" I hesitantly muttered.

"Giving up."

With that he leaned in brushing his lips against mine. It was slight brush but I felt like my entire body was on fire.

I held onto to the front of his shirt, pulling him closer. His hands on my shoulders left its place there, slowly trailing up, finally settling in my hair, pulling me even closer.

"We shouldn't do this ...  I hate you right now ... " I said in between his relentless kissing.

"Yes ...  hate ...  later ... "

I mean how could you argue with that? I've been kissed a couple of times before but this ... . This was something completely ...  completely...

Who would have thought, soft lips on a man, made otherwise of steel. The feeling of his strong hands in contrast to the softness of his lips was maddening.

"Khushi ...  ask me stop ... "

His words were fuzzy, barely registering.  One really didn't have the option of thinking when one was kissing Arnav Singh Raizada.

I knew he was trying to distract me, avoiding apologising and being a total jerk in all fronts ...  But for the love all things good I couldn't possibly stop. Not when he had his hands all over me, pushing me closer and closer to him.

I have no idea how long we stood there, in the middle of a deserted road. But I do know that it was long enough for me to be left completely breathless and the taste of his lips to linger even after parting.

I wish I could say that it ended magically with both of slightly shy and all those things which represented unicorns and butterflies. But no. We broke apart hastily when we heard incessant honking from a truck whose path we were blocking.

Well after that everything went in typical ASR way.

The said jerk drove home completely ignoring the big pink elephant in the car. While I was totally convinced of two things'

1.       Arnav, on some level, liked me. (How much ever he tries to deny this tomorrow!)
2.       I, on some level, liked him as well. (I will vehemently deny this fact in the next few pages!)


No comments:

Post a Comment